Leave a Comment / Invisalign / By seoteam
If you’re considering orthodontic treatment with Invisalign aligners, you may be wondering how much time you’ll need to commit to wearing them each day. Invisalign aligners are a popular choice for straightening teeth because they are virtually invisible and comfortable. But to get the best results, it’s important to wear your Invisalign aligners for the recommended amount of time each day.
So, is 20 hours a day enough for Invisalign aligners? Let’s find out by exploring everything about Invisalign aligners in this article.
What Are Invisalign Aligners?
Invisalign aligners are teeth-aligning orthodontic treatment devices. They are made of clear, plastic material that is custom-fitted to the patient’s teeth and worn over the top of the teeth. The aligners work by applying gentle pressure to the teeth, gradually moving them into the desired position over time.
Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible and can be removed for eating, brushing, and flossing. They are a popular alternative to traditional braces for adults who want a more subtle and discreet way to straighten their teeth.
How Do Invisalign Aligners Work?
Invisalign aligners are custom-made for each patient based on digital impressions or physical molds of the teeth. The aligners are made of a clear, flexible plastic that is virtually invisible when in place. To begin treatment, the patient receives a series of aligners that are each worn for about two weeks.
The aligners gently shift the teeth into the appropriate position as the patient progresses through the series. The patient visits the orthodontist every six to eight weeks to check on progress and receive the next series of aligners. If you’re interested in Invisalign in Bradenton, FL, you can trust Parkwood Dental to help you achieve the smile you’re dreaming of.
How Long to Wear Invisalign Aligners
The recommended amount of time to wear Invisalign aligners is 20 to 22 hours per day. This means that the aligners should only be removed for eating, drinking, brushing, and brushing (cleaning the teeth and aligners).
In general, wearing Invisalign aligners for 20 hours a day is sufficient to achieve the desired results. However, it’s important to note that each patient is different, and the orthodontist may prescribe a different amount of wear time based on the individual needs of the patient. So, it’s best to consult with your orthodontist if you’re unsure of what to do.
Moreover, wearing the aligners for more than 22 hours a day is not recommended, as it can lead to discomfort and may not provide any additional benefits.
Factors that Can Impact How Long You Should Wear Invisalign Aligners
How long you must wear Invisalign aligners each day depends on a few different factors. Here are a few:
The severity of your misalignment: If you have a more severe case of misalignment, you may need to wear your Invisalign aligners for a longer period of time to achieve the desired results.
The complexity of your bite: If you have a complex bite, it may take longer to correct it with Invisalign aligners.
Your age: Children and teenagers tend to have a faster treatment time with Invisalign aligners because their teeth are still growing and are more responsive to the aligners. Adults may need to wear the aligners for longer because their teeth are fully developed and not as responsive to the aligners.
Your adherence to the treatment plan: Following your orthodontist’s advice is crucial if you want to achieve the best results from your Invisalign treatment. The process of getting the desired outcomes may take longer if you don’t wear your aligners as advised.
Any complicating factors: If you have any other dental or health issues that may impact your Invisalign treatment, it could affect how long you need to wear the aligners.
The type of Invisalign treatment you are using: There are different types of Invisalign treatment available, and each one has its own wear time recommendations.
Your orthodontist’s recommendations: Your orthodontist is the best judge of how long you need to wear Invisalign aligners based on your individual needs and treatment goals. So, it’s important to listen to your dentist for optimal results.
How Long Do Invisalign Aligners Take to Work?
Just like how long a patient should wear the aligners, the length of treatment with Invisalign aligners also varies from patient to patient and depends on numerous factors, including the severity of the misalignment, the complexity of the bite, the patient’s age, and the patient’s adherence to the treatment plan.
On average, treatment with Invisalign aligners takes about 12 to 18 months, but some patients may need more or less time. Children and teenagers tend to have a faster treatment time because their teeth are still growing and are more responsive to the aligners. Adults may need to wear the aligners for a longer period of time because their teeth are fully developed and are not as responsive to the aligners.
Tips to Wear Invisalign Aligners Properly
The success of Invisalign treatments is dependent on the patient’s compliance. Below are some helpful tips to help you get the best result from your treatment:
- Wear your Invisalign aligners for 20 to 22 hours a day: In order to achieve the best results, it’s important to wear your aligners consistently throughout the day and only remove them when eating, brushing, or flossing.
- Keep your aligners clean: It’s important to clean your aligners regularly to prevent the build-up of bacteria and plaque. You can clean them by brushing them with warm water or by using a denture cleaner recommended by your dentist.
- Keep your aligners moist: If your aligners become dry, they can become brittle and may break. To prevent this, store them in a case filled with water when they are not being worn.
- Handle your aligners with care: Be gentle when handling your aligners to avoid damaging them. Avoid biting down on hard or crunchy foods while wearing them, and be careful not to drop or step on them.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly: It’s important to maintain good oral hygiene while wearing Invisalign aligners. To get rid of plaque and food fragments that can become caught between your teeth and aligners, brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day.
- Keep your appointments with your orthodontist: It’s important to attend all of your appointments with your orthodontist so they can monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments to your Invisalign treatment plan.
- Be patient: Straightening your teeth with Invisalign aligners takes time, and it’s important to be patient and stick with the treatment plan prescribed by your orthodontist.
How to Remove Invisalign Aligners Properly
To remove your Invisalign aligners, follow these steps:
- Clean your mouth with water to get rid of any food or debris on your teeth and aligners.
- Place your index fingers on the back of the aligners near your molars.
- Using your index fingers, gently push the aligners up and out from the back of your mouth.
- Once the aligners are partially out of your mouth, you can use your thumb to push them the rest of the way out gently.
- Wash the aligners with lukewarm water to remove any saliva or debris.
- Keep the aligners in their case or a water-filled container to keep them from drying out.
It’s important to handle your aligners gently to avoid damaging them. You should also avoid having long nails to prevent unnecessary damage to your aligners.
Is Invisalign Faster than Traditional Braces?
The length it takes to complete treatment with Invisalign aligners is generally comparable to the treatment length of traditional braces. The total treatment time can vary depending on the complexity of the case and the patient’s individual needs and compliance with treatment.
In some cases, Invisalign aligners may be able to achieve the desired results more quickly than traditional braces because they use precise, computer-generated movements to move the teeth into the desired position. However, this is not always the case, and the treatment time can vary significantly from one patient to another.
It’s important to keep in mind that both Invisalign aligners and traditional braces require consistent and diligent use in order to be effective. It’s also important to follow the treatment plan prescribed by the orthodontist to ensure the best results in the shortest amount of time.
Invisalign aligners are a great option for straightening your teeth, but it’s important to be aware of the steps you need to take in order to ensure successful treatment. With careful use and diligent oral hygiene habits, Invisalign aligners can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted in the shortest amount of time possible.
Parkwood Dental is the leading Invisalign provider in Bradenton, Florida. If you’re interested in this revolutionary teeth straightening procedure, contact our office today to schedule your appointment. We look forward to giving you a smile you’ll be happy with!